Fire at Sandy Spring Museum
January 15, 2020
As reported on the news, there was a small fire at the Museum Monday evening, January 13. The fire was a result of an electrical short in an exhaust fan in the ceiling of the Farquhar Gallery - the hallway between the Exhibit Hall and the Ladson Research Library. The short ignited some rafters and other materials in the ceiling. Fortunately, the building alarm system called the fire department and the firefighters arrived to quickly extinguish the fire before it spread. Their swiftness spared all of the artifacts and artwork, however as you can see, there is still work to be done to repair the ceiling and floor.
The insurance company and contractors are already on-site working to restore power and re-open the building. Additional information will be shared on social media to keep you up-to-date on the status of programs and events over the next few days.
We appreciate the interest and offers of assistance at this important time for your community museum. While most of the expenses related to the fire will be covered by insurance, we will need to pay deductibles and will likely have some unexpected expenses. You can help by making a gift to our Fire Response Fund through online payment or by mailing a check to the museum.
On behalf of the board, the staff, the artists and the rest of the community - THANK YOU to the Sandy Spring Volunteer Fire Department, Montgomery County Fire & Rescue, the firefighters and those who are currently helping the Museum re-open.
Thank you for supporting your community museum!
Lauren Peirce, Marketing Director
Sandy Spring Museum
17901 Bentley Rd, Sandy Spring, MD 20860
(301) 774-0022; email@example.com